Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First Steps

Well, yesterday we did two things.

1) Wrote to FHC (For His Children) to ask how we could help, and...

2) Called Illien Adoption Agency just to ask some questions.

Like I said in the previous post, we are not out to adopt right now.  But one day we might be, and we had some questions.  The woman who answered the phone with Illien was amazing- she took a lot of time just talking to us, answering our questions, responding to our fears.  We quickly realized that the biggest obstacle is money.  To adopt from Ecuador, their fees our $20,000.  Upon hearing this, I thought...well that isn't that bad...people make bigger investments in cars! Then there are all the "third party costs," and that quickly jacked the price up to around 35K when all is said and done.  Now understand me when I say- it's not that a child is not worth it.  Children are priceless.  It's just that...well, we don't have that kind of money.  And we're just going to have to trust that if God wants us to adopt, somehow he'll provide everything we need to make it happen.

I also wrote an e-mail to FHC last night....here it is in its entirety:

Hello,
  We are a Christian couple with two kids, a five year old little girl and a 2 1/2 year old little boy.  My husband and I have always had a heart for orphans/children in need, but we've always assumed that God wanted us to fulfill His purpose here in America, and not for several more years.  Recently, we have not been able to get Ecuador out of our minds.  We have never been to Ecuador nor known anyone who's been...we honestly don't even know much about Ecuador.  But for some reason, God won't let it go!  I feel like God is leading us to do something, although honestly, we are not sure what that might be.  This morning I googled childrens' ministries in Ecuador, and I stumbled upon several results...but when I came upon yours, I felt as if the Holy Spirit had led us there.  I have no idea what we can do for you guys other than pray, given we are in North Carolina, but I really felt led to send this e-mail and tell you THANK YOU for all that you are doing on Christ's behalf...I read everything on your website, and it is so inspirational to see how obedient you have been to God. Please let us know if there is anything you need help with, specifically.  I was also wondering if we could start receiving your newsletters?  
We just started a blog today about Ecuador, just in case God might be doing something huge, so if you want to read there and get a better feel for who we are and what we're feeling, please do.  

Thank-you!



Would you guys please pray that we get an answer?  Richard and I both prayed for them last night and this morning, and I know that even if we can do nothing else, that's the best thing we could do.  We prayed that all the kids there would find forever homes, and that God would bless the organization and meet all their needs before it is even a need.  

I'm not sure what we've been called to do, but I pray that you guys would pray that we will figure it out.  Until then, we're just going to keep praying and keep believing that God has a plan for us.

 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jer. 29:11


I know that verse is true for all those waiting children in the world, and I know it is true for us as well.  There is comfort in the fact that God already knows what we'll be doing, and what role we'll have in all of this.

Thanks for reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment