Monday, March 14, 2011

Ecuador?

My husband and I have decided to start this blog to document what God might make out of our sudden interest in Ecuador (specifically children in Ecuador).

I guess we'll start this post off with a question.  How do you know when God is talking to you?  You know how some people say "...and God told me to do it,"  or "God led us to do it," or "then we heard God saying..."

But how do they really know?  How do you know the difference between an interest and a calling?  How do you know how to separate your desires with His desires?  Because honestly... we don't know.  My husband and I have always been interested in adoption.  We already have two bio kids of our own, but we've always had a special place in our heart for children without families.  I'm not sure what God wants me to do with this passion...I've considered that maybe after my kids get older, I might get a job with an adoption agency or something...I've even considered us adopting in the far future. You know, when we have more money, or a bigger house, and a bigger car...when we're more settled financially.  We've even adopted a dog and a cat, hoping that might get it out of our system.  But we can't get away from the feeling that we're suppose to be doing something.  We love watching adoption documentaries, and we always said that if we do adopt, we want to adopt an older waiting child in America.  We've talked about fostering some day in the future.  We've never considered international adoption.  Well, not until Ecuador.

Ecuador is a country we know nothing about.  We've never been there, we've never known anyone who's been there, we've never watched a movie about it...but yet I can't stop thinking about it.  It's been on my heart for a while now.  Does God want us to go on a mission trip to Ecuador?  Does he want us to sponsor a child in Ecuador?  Does he want us to donate to an orphanage in Ecuador?  Does he want us to simply pray for Ecuador?  Could it be possible that....he actually wants us to adopt from Ecuador???

Surely not now.  We do not have 20K+ lying around to spend on international adoption fees...we only have a three bedroom house, barely even 1600 square feet.  We have two Honda civics.  I cannot believe that God wants us to adopt now.  Even though, honestly...with our love for children in need of families, that's the first thing I thought of.

Is this a fad?  Am I fixating on this?  If so, why Ecuador?  Or is this really "a God thing?"  We went googling Ecuador and I came across this website for a ministry entitled "For His Children."  It was one ministry among hundreds, but somehow when I stumbled upon it, I felt as if the holy spirit had led me there.  For what purpose?  They aren't an adoption agency and they aren't affiliated with any adoption agency. They simply take care of orphans/neglected children and meet their needs.  I feel like I should write this woman and ask what I can do to help.  But what could we possibly do, here in North Carolina?  With a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old?

I don't know what any of this means, if anything.  But I do feel like, for some reason, God is pointing Ecuador out to me on the map and saying LOOK HERE.  But why?  And how can we be sure?

Please pray that we might know what to do...that God will answer our questions...that He will prepare our hearts...and, if there is something radical He wants to do, that He will prepare the way for us.  Pray that we will trust Him and grow closer to Him, so maybe we can recognize His voice when He really, truly speaks to us.
Thank-you,

The Daws

No comments:

Post a Comment